Friday, August 1, 2008

Andrew's Comment

Andrew D said...

a few of your comments remind me of the some of the strange things i encountered in asia. while not my native religion they had many temples that seemed to have these hundreds of years old religious manufactured "attractions". "budda slept here". "buddas ankle bone in a glass box". and so on.

all of the places felt spiritual and amazing in their right without these things. I mean if you have a Phalic Shrine do you really need to improve upon it to get people to come worship?

yet these religious addons have become parts of the local flavor of the religion. i guess it was somewhat unsettling for me to see that through the centuries that people felt they needed to add to the existing religion in a physical sense that doesnt seem to be at odds with faith.

I cant imagine being in the physical center of my own religion and seeing how some of these things may stand out.

anyway maybe im well off base with what you intended to say but it has been interesting reading so far.

No comments: